The Greatest You: Face Reality, Release Negativity, and Live Your Purpose
- Focuses on becoming a better person
- Gives sense of direction
- Easy to understand
CHECK LATEST PRICE
Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
- An interesting take on pain and suffering
CHECK LATEST PRICE
Good Vibes, Good Life: How Self-Love Is the Key to Unlocking Your Greatness
- Puts wellbeing as a priority
- Helps you to follow healthier lifestyle habits
- Gives tips on how to overcome fears
CHECK LATEST PRICE
We can all do with some self-improvement from time to time.
Maybe you need to change some unhealthy habits or you need to deal with past trauma that’s weighing you down and keeping you stuck. Books on personal development can be valuable resources to have on your e-reading device or bookshelf.
What, exactly, is personal development? Personal development can be defined as a range of activities that improve your awareness, develop your skills, and help you enhance your life.
Personal development is a journey, and it can be an amazing one. With that in mind, here are five best personal development books to help you become a better person.
Best Overall: The Greatest You: Face Reality, Release Negativity, and Live Your Purpose
This personal development book is the story of NFL dropout Trent Shelton who went through a variety of obstacles to become a better person. It’s a story about finding hope when it seems like days are dark, and seeing how Trent managed to turn his life around will help you to make your life better.
This best personal development book of all time combines his personal stories with stories of other people. This show-instead-of-tell approach will help you to see ways in which you can change whatever is negative in your life so you can live a more meaningful and happier life.
- The book focuses on helping you find your purpose, break away from toxic situations, and become stronger so that you can deal with obstacles and pitfalls in life.
- It also focuses on becoming a better person by giving you the tools you need to live a life that’s focused on forgiving others.
- This book is particularly useful for you if you’re feeling lost, as chapters are dedicated to helping you find your purpose in life.
- People have said that this book is written with lots of passion, which will motivate you and make you feel amped to get out there and achieve your goals.
- The material of the book is easy to use because of how it’s written in a casual tone that also serves to make the book relatable.
- Some people who have read this book have said that it’s a little tricky to gain a benefit from it if you don’t have an idea of how to find your purchase. There’s no convenient “how to” section on how to do this.
- Other people have said that the books are not as inspiring as Trent’s social media videos.
Runner Up: Can't Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds
He’s the only man in history who was able to complete his elite training as a Navy SEAL, Air Force Tactical Air Controller, and Army Ranger.
One of the most interesting life hacks in this book is what Goggins refers to as The 40% Rule. This rule states that most people only access 40 percent of their capabilities.
By reading this book, you can feel inspired to turn your own life around – and reach upwards of that percentage.
- This best book for personal development has an interesting take on pain and suffering. Goggins sees these as worthy of being embraced as they are what help you to reach your potential.
- What’s inspiring about this memoir is that Goggins focuses on how persistence and discipline can help you to achieve all your goals, no matter what they are.
- Every chapter in the book has challenges for the reader to complete, which is great because it adds a practical element to the memoir that you’ll find useful.
- Another great thing about this inspiring personal development book is that it will help you to move past your victim mentality.
- People have said that even though they knew quite a bit about Goggins’ life, the book still offered new information about him. This book will therefore appeal to people who are fans of Goggins and people who are just being introduced to him alike.
- Some people who have purchased this book have said that bad language is often used in it, which might be off putting.
- Although this is inspiring, it’s not a feel-good memoir as it can be quite dark at times. This might not be to everyone’s tastes.
Alternative: Good Vibes, Good Life: How Self-Love Is the Key to Unlocking Your Greatness
This book will inspire you to turn negative emotions into positive ones that can help you to love yourself and be happy. The author, Vex King, is an Instagram guru. He focuses on how to change the way you think, speak, feel, and act, all of which can help you to completely change your life – and even change the world.
- This book teaches you how to practice self-care and make your wellbeing a priority in your life. Without your health, you can’t make anything else happen in your life.
- It helps you to follow healthier lifestyle habits, and this includes meditation and mindfulness. Reading this book will encourage you to include these practices into your life so that you can feel more relaxed and stay in tune with your higher self.
- The book also features information about how to manifest your goals into reality, and to achieve this it includes tried-and-tested techniques so you don’t have to feel lost anymore.
- If you’re riddled with fear, this book is important to read. It gives you tips on how to overcome your fears that are holding you back and allow yourself to flow with the universe.
- This best book on personal development is also ideal for people who don’t know what their purpose is as the book will help them to find it and change their beliefs so that they can attract amazing opportunities into their lives.
- Some people have said that the book doesn’t always have depth as its observations are quite surface level.
- People who have been exposed to the ideas in this book might find that it’s more suitable for beginners.
Alternative: Get Out of Your Head: Stopping the Spiral of Toxic Thoughts
This New York Time bestselling book focuses on helping you to change your negative thought patterns.
The author, Jennie Allen, has gone through the horrible experience of feeling like a victim stuck in her own negative thoughts, and it was her faith in God that helped her exit the toxic spiral.
By reading this book, you can learn how to use spiritual power to help you calm your thoughts and choose positive ones.
- People have said that this book is both well written and easy to read. This helps to make it engaging while also ensuring you can pick it up throughout the day without feeling lost or overwhelmed by it.
- This best personal development book provides you with practical tools you can use in your life to challenge your thoughts, be grateful, let go of your fears, and more.
- Part of the reason why the practical parts of the book are so valuable is because the author provides an honest, vulnerable story about her own life.
- While some Christian authors haven’t managed to successfully combine theology with practical ways to change one’s life, this book does this effortlessly and in inspiring ways.
- It’s easy to forget that we have control over our thoughts, and this book is an important reminder of that. This feature also makes it a timely read because of how we are constantly surrounded with negativity.
- Some people who have read this book have said that it focuses a lot on religion, which might not appeal to everyone. For example, if you’re more of a spiritual than religious person, you might find that this book is not for you.
Alternative: The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F*ck: A Counterintuitive Approach to Living a Good Life
While we all want to be happier and more positive, trying to force ourselves to do this can be more stressful than sunny, and that’s what Mark Manson tackles in this book.
This book will teach you to embrace your faults, fears, and doubts and confront your painful truths so that you can become stronger. That’s where your power really lies. Yup, that’s quite an interesting concept!
- People who have purchased this book have said that it feels like a warm hug. This book on how to be happy is friendly, funny, and will make you feel like you’re listening to heartwarming stories from a best friend.
- If you have past trauma that you can’t seem to move on from, this book will help you to deal with your feelings, and you might find that you get closure on them. This is what makes this one of the best books on how to be happy with yourself.
- The book is filled with wit and humor, so you’ll find yourself laughing because the author manages to turn her previous trauma into humor.
- Although the title might feel a bit misleading, this is one of the best books on how to be happy alone as it contains a wealth of information about self-care and self-value.
- Interestingly, this book is said to be for people who feel that their childhood is unresolved, people who feel more comfortable making connections online than in real life, and people who want to feel less alone in life.
- Some people have said that this book can be triggering if you suffer from anxiety.
- It’s worth noting that this is a gut-wrenching memoir so it’s not ideal for you if you’re looking for a lighter read.
Personal Development Books FAQ
Now that you know what are some of the best personal development books to add to your library, let’s explore some interesting facts about personal development and how reading books can have a positive effect on both your mind and life.
What should I read for personality development?
If you want to develop your personality because you know that your personality can help you achieve your goals and get to where you want to be in life, you might wonder how you can do this.
There are actually various activities that can help you, such as analyzing your personality traits – both the good and what you consider to be your flaws – and developing new interests to explore who you are. You can also read books to increase your knowledge on certain topics or find new topics to learn about if you want to expand your interests.
There are many good books that you can read to make you a better person. Examples include Awaken The Giant Within by Tony Robbins, which can help you to overcome personal and professional obstacles while also having greater control over your emotions. Another personality development book that has become a classic is The 7 Habits Of Highly Effective People by Stephen R. Covey. It provides a holistic approach to help you solve professional and personal problems, while giving you step-by-step instructions for how to live with integrity. It’s also essential if you want to learn how to adapt to change and take advantage of great opportunities.
Besides the above, there are books that you can find which will help you tackle specific problems in your life, or elements of your personality that you want to change. For example, if you struggle with letting go of fear, a book such as Good Vibes, Good Life: How Self-Love Is the Key to Unlocking Your Greatness that we featured in our book reviews is a valuable resource so you can stop letting fear get in your way.
One of the most important ways in which we can develop and improve our personalities is to forgive others so that we don’t burden ourselves with those blockages of energy. You can achieve this, and more, by reading a book such as The Greatest You: Face Reality, Release Negativity, and Live Your Purpose. This book is one of the ways in which reading can help you to become a better person as it’s focused on having greater empathy and compassion.
Can reading a book change your life?
Reading can definitely change your life! There are many ways in which you can benefit from reading on a regular basis. Here are some to consider.
- You can learn more about yourself and how to eliminate your stress by reading, such as by choosing books that are focused on increasing your personal development.
- You increase your creativity by reading. It can help you to explore ideas for creative activities or find solutions to problems, such as by reading books in which people have to deal with difficult situations.
- You stop feeling lonely. Reading a memoir of someone who has gone through difficult situations or trauma that’s similar to what you’re going through can help you to find hope. This can change your life by helping you to maintain positivity and use it to improve your life.
- You learn to develop your skills. How-to books that teach you how to take a deeper look into the person you are and your skills, and also how to improve or use them in a practical way, can help you to feel stronger and be more productive.
- You increase your vocabulary. By reading on a regular basis, you will be exposed to more words, which you’ll start using in your conversations. The result is that you speak with greater verbal skills.
- You decrease your stress levels. It’s been found that people who read regularly report lower instances of stress than people who don’t. In a study by the University of Sussex, people who read for six minutes can reduce their stress levels by up to 68 percent!
Do books make you more intelligent?
Reading books can help to boost your brain power. This is because it gives your brain a workout by keeping your mind sharp. In fact, people who exercise their brain regularly, such as by reading, can decrease their mental decline by up to 32 percent!
Children who read books from an early age will be exposed to a larger vocabulary, and this results in them achieving higher reading test scores as well as higher IQ tests, so there’s definitely a connection between reading and intelligence.
Reading can help your brain process information verbally and visually. This is important because people who can’t read tend to struggle with processing verbal information.
It’s also good to know that research has found that reading boosts the communication between different areas of your brain, which means that your brain will be able to perform at its best cognitively.
Reading can also improve your empathy, which is an important part of emotional intelligence. This was found to be as a result of how you get emotionally transported by a work of fiction.
How long should I read a day?
Gaining personal development isn’t just about the types of books you read, but also how much time you spend reading them. Generally, when you’re reading daily, it doesn’t matter if you spend 30 minutes or several hours reading. The important thing is that you should sneak in some reading daily if you can. This is because it boosts your emotional and intelligence IQ, and it helps you to find calmness and inner peace.
This habit is also good on a practical level because reading personal development books on a daily basis ensures that you maintain momentum when learning new concepts and doing practical exercises in the books. If you don’t engage with personal development concepts regularly, you can inhibit your growth as you won’t get into the habit of learning and developing them properly.
If you want to boost your personal development, there are many books that can help you. In this article, we’ve looked at five of the best personal development books to help you become a better person.
We’ve also featured interesting information that’s guaranteed to motivate you to want to download more books onto your device or add more books to your bookshelf, such as that reading can improve your intelligence and make you stress less.